How to Succeed at an Internship!
So you’ve landed your self an internship! You’re probably a mix between anxious, psyched, determined and scared. If this is your first internship the sense of not knowing what to expect plays a big role. Here are some tips to prep for your first day and calm some of your completely normal nerves.
- Look over the original position- It’s probably been awhile since your interview and maybe you’ve forgotten- “What exactly did I sign up to do?” Look over the posting and remember that you are more than capable of doing those sorts of tasks asked of you.
- Check your route on Google Maps- It’s always good to have a general idea of where you’re going, and you can also check out traffic patterns and figure out how early you should start to get ready. Rushing to get there on your first day is not ideal, and you don’t want to show up frazzled.
- Have a filling breakfast- You don’t know what will be asked of you on your first day. Maybe you’ll be eased in or you might have a lot thrown at your plate, regardless it’s good to have a breakfast that can help you power through.
- Dress based on your best judgement, then adjust- It’s your first time working in an office and you have no idea what the office dress code. This can easily be fixed by emailing your supervisor or the HR department, but if it’s the night before you’re better off googling business casual outfits and constructing one from your current closet. When you go in the next day, keep an eye out for what others wear. It takes time to build one’s business wardrobe, and investing in some staple pieces might be something you want to consider.
- Keep track of all your logins, forms, and other documents in one place- It’s important to stay organized, and you’re responsible for all the information given to you, bring a folder to store anything important you may receive.
- It’s OKAY to ask questions– Remember that first and foremost an internship is a learning and practical experience. If you’re confused about something it’s okay (and encouraged) to speak up. No one expects you to know how to do everything your first day, get clarity sooner rather than later.
By Vanessa B. (Pan Asia Resources Intern)
Pan Asia Resources is a women-owned marketing boutique firm located in Ashburn, VA. We specialize in Brand Outreach and Social Media Marketing Services. For more information on how we can help you visit our website today!
Follow us today!